Friday, March 28, 2008

Eating Everything on the Menu



Today the Society for Gynecologic Investigation was in full swing activity, with about 1100 participants. I gave my talk in the afternoon, following a poster session in which some of the other female scientists working in the field presented their results (see photo). I was uncharacteristically nervous before the talk, partly because the audience consisted of more PhDs than MDs, and partly because other highly sophisticated investigators in the field were there as well.

With the talk over it was time for some good food and some relaxation (I hadn't eaten much all day due to nerves). Accompanied by 5 Dutch gynecologists I went to the historic gaslamp district, to a restaurant called Chive that I seen reviewed in the New York Times. They were experimenting with a "tapas"-like menu in which you were supposed to order 3 dishes per person. Since there were a total of 19 dishes, we just told the waitress to "bring the entire menu." (Didn't you always want to do that?) The food was spectacular, and our waitress was very pleasant and accommodating. We also ended up sharing all 5 of the desserts, and buying tee shirts. The meal was neither overly filling nor overly expensive. And now I have a perfect long sleeve tee shirt to wear on the flight to Hong Kong tomorrow night!

No comments: