Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Hora Est (The Time Has Come)





I am now in Holland and they are keeping me busy. I did not post an entry on Monday because I had 3 meetings related to various research projects and I gave a lecture on personalized genomic testing. Yesterday, however, was very special. I was one of the external examiners for the Ph.D. theses for the lovely young women shown in the top photo, Marije (on the left), and Idske (on the right). Both are 26 and are already MDs. While getting their MDs they spent additional time doing research on chimerism, the mixture of different cell types in a given individual, and its implications for health. In an academic tradition that dates back to the 1600s, I read their theses and prepared questions, which they answered in a large former church in front of several hundred of their family and friends. The "hora est" refers to the moment when the "beadle" [the person who officially keeps the time] comes into the room and annouces that essentially, time is up. The professors then proceed to another room where we decide if the student has adequately defended her thesis. This moment is so famous that they have had a carpet made, which is in the "decision" room. Some other interesting things included my selection of the "toga." The Dutch call the academic gown a "toga," which made me laugh, because to us a toga calls to mind images of "Animal House" and the very opposite of academic formality! The photo shows the beautifully restored room in which the togas are kept, accompanied by 17th century royal and faculty portraits. Lastly, I should mention that the picture of me with the candidates was taken in the "sweat room." This is where the candidates wait before they defend their theses. Many famous people have gotten degrees from Leiden University, including Sir Winston Churchill. Although he received an honorary degree he was allowed to sign his name in the sweat room (this is for you, Peter!)

No comments: