September 24, 2009
Today was a day of professional obligations. I have not left the Grand Hilton Hotel and Convention Center since I arrived yesterday, having spoken at one conference in the morning, and attended several formal functions, including the banquet tonight. I had been warned by others who had visited Korea that I would be expected to participate in their favorite entertainment, karaoke. Karaoke comes from “kara,” meaning “fake” and “oke,” meaning orchestra. I thought that FOR SURE I could defer politely, citing jet lag, shyness, or the truth, which is that I absolutely cannot sing. As you can see from the top photo, the Korean Society of Ob Gyn does not take no for an answer, so the guests were “treated” to an experience never heard by others—that of me singing in public! (I really thought I was going to get away with not singing! ) First the “locals” sang. Some had enthusiasm (see second to lowest photo), and others had talent. Dr. Lee, a well-respected chairman of a major academic Ob Gyn department , sang a jaw-dropping version of “Unchained Melody,” dedicating it to the late Patrick Swayze. Then, the hosts insisted that all 5 of the non-Asian invited speakers participate. I was mortified! Dr. Bob, a gyn oncologist from Philadelphia, is shown with the book from which we had to pick a song to sing. There were also 2 Belgian speakers who sang a really awful version of “Here Comes the Sun.” While they were singing I had the song book, and was in a panic about what to sing. In the end I chose “Mamma Mia,” figuring that it was a happy song that the crowd would understand. What I didn’t expect was that those words scroll by very fast on the screen and not in time with the beat! Still, I overcame my fear and survived the experience. In the end, I learned that this is really about having fun and it doesn’t matter what you sound like (at least in Korea). It was definitely part of the cultural experience! And, by the way, although I know the decision was rigged, I won first prize, and in the envelope was a crisp $100 bill!
4 comments:
I remember doing LOTS of Karaoke when we were there. So funny!!!
Congratulations Diana....sure it was a lot of fun....that's what it's all about.....
From Dad,
I think the South koreans are very smart to give you a prise for singing "Mamma Mia ". I could not have done better singing "Arriverdeci Roma"
Love Dad
Are you going to put this prize on your CV? I think you should.
Post a Comment