Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dining at the "Sea Warehouse"





June 15, 2010
Today was a beautiful, sunny midsummer day in Sweden. Unfortunately I never left the hotel/convention center complex due to lectures or work responsibilities. That did not stop me, however from shopping! The young woman shown in the picture with the jewelry is a Swedish PhD medical geneticist who also designs jewelry. She exhibited her wares at the convention center. I had a great time talking to her and looking at her very cool, modern designs. I bought a silver necklace that has a Georg Jensen vibe to it, but those in the know will recognize the anatomically accurate double X chromosomes. The only other "outings" I had during the past 2 days were to various restaurants. On Sunday night I had dinner at a Turkish restaurant with friends Joan and Pete, and their colleague Peter. I specifically angled the photo to show the red Volvo in the background because Gothenburg is where Volvo was founded in 1927. I did not get to the Volvo museum, which is on an island nearby. The gastronomic highlight of this trip was the 7-course, 4 hour tasting menu that we had at Sjomagasinet, which means "Sea Warehouse." I had read about this restaurant in Mumbai, of all places, and it lived up to the hype. We started with a hand-cured salmon, and had 2 subsequent fish courses. Everything was fresh and seasonal and absolutely delicious. The ambience was also quite special, with old wooden beams and antique paintings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terrific looking photos. Sounds like a wonderful trip. I'm glad you were able to purchase some new DNA jewelry, as the British Royal Mint seems to have discontinued their line. So sorry you did not get to the Volvo Museum.