Monday, October 18, 2010

My First Mission





October 17, 2010
After 2 sleep-deprived nights I deperately wanted to sleep, but I knew that that would be very bad for my adjustment to the local time zone (12 hours ahead of Boston). So, I forced myself to go out into the hot and humid air and take the subway to Kowloon. [I am staying near the Chinese University of Hong Kong, which is in Sha Tin, about 30 min north of Kowloon) It was a sunny Sunday, and lots of people were out and about. I saw many couples taking their wedding pictures with the harbour as a background. Although my first mission was to stay awake, my second mission was a return visit to my bespoke tailors, Michael and Gordon @ Vogue Tailors. There I placed an order for my brother's birthday present (I hope he likes what I picked in my seriously jet-lagged state!)and a black suit and a pair of black silk pants for myself. It really is no more expensive than going to a nice department store in the US. I decided that it is so much efficient for me to do my shopping like this because I have a hard time finding clothes that fit. I almost invarably need to have them altered due to my "hourglass" shape and short arms! After finishing that I was ready for my first official "function," which was a "welcoming" dinner at Nobu at the InterContinental with my host Dennis and his lovely wife Alice. I have not been to Nobu in LA or NY, so it was a real treat to go there. The best dish was a salmon sashimi that had been lightly grilled on the inside, so you had the simultaneous flavors of raw and cooked salmon. Delicious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I'll love it!