Sunday, February 13, 2011

Show Me the Money: SF





February 10-11, 2011

I flew into San Francisco, where even the iconic cable cars advertise advanced medical products (in this case, monoclonal antibodies). Upon arrival, my blackberry had a flurry of alerts indicating that a certain rival company working in the field of noninvasive prenatal diagnosis was having major stock activity. Welcome to the world of Biotech! My mission in SF was to give a lecture on blood testing for genetic conditions, as well as to consult for Artemis Health, which is developing safer tests for prenatal diagnosis. The photos show my colleague, Alfred, and I, taking the company's leadership through various ways in which the test could be used in a clinical setting. After 30 years of doing research in this area I am confident that in the next year or two we will finally be able to achieve our goal of prenatal testing without getting needles near the fetus!

No comments: