May 24, 2012
In the morning I spoke at a conference organized by the
University of Utrecht on recent advances in genetic testing for obstetricians
and midwives. It was held in a conference center built under the stands of the Utrecht soccer stadium!
The morning sessions were in English, but after lunch they switched
to Dutch, so I was “excused” to do some sightseeing.
For something different, I went to the Dick
Bruna House, a museum dedicated to the art and creations of Dick Bruna (born in
1927). Mr. Bruna is the creator of the Dutch cartoon iconic rabbit named Miffy
(but called Nijntje in Dutch).
I
recognized Miffy from seeing her in bookstores, but I don’t remember reading
any of her books to Josh or Elliott. I found the videotape in which Mr. Bruna
explained his inspirations (the artist Matisse and the architect Rietveld [more
on him later]) very interesting. Furthermore, Bruna doesn’t “draw” Miffy, he
does everything with cutouts and he uses only five primary colors: yellow,
green, blue, red, and white.
Miffy is
clearly a star in Japan. The gift shop was full of adult Japanese women buying
lots of Miffy-branded souvenirs! Mr. Bruna also uses primary colors and the outline approach to the advertisements he creates. The poppy below is advertising buttermilk for good health.
The primary color theme even continued outside to the bicycles that the museums lend visitors to get to the Rietveld-Schroeder House, a short ride away. The tours were full today, so I made a reservation for Sunday.
1 comment:
Diana: You are so much better than the average travelogue! It is wonderful to read about places I've been to, and even better to read about the places I haven't been to!
Love, The Godmother
Post a Comment