Saturday, November 23, 2013

Found in Translation


March 2, 2013

Suddenly it was show time. At the designated time an assistant picked me up to take me to the prenatal diagnosis conference at which I was speaking. 

My first task was to meet with the two people who were assigned to translate my talk into Japanese. They were amazing and asked very sophisticated scientific questions. All of this was done before my lecture, but when I participated in a panel discussion afterwards, they translated the audience’s questions into English. 


The Japanese are very respectful of the seasons, and this aesthetic even carries over to the power point presentations. All of the speakers' photographs are surrounded by plum blossoms.
 


After the conference I visited my hostess, Dr. Pooh’s (yes, that is her real name!) prenatal diagnosis clinic and laboratory. While there were no doctors named Eeyore or Tigger in sight, there was a lot of Winnie the Poo memorabilia!


No comments: