Thursday, April 3, 2008

10,000 Plus Miles



The 2,000 year old man and I returned safely to Boston tonight after a journey of over 10,000 miles and 24 hours of real-time travel. The distance between Boston and Hong Kong is less, as the crow flies, but since you cannot yet fly direct, the miles are longer. Our trip started yesterday (today?) in Shatin, New Territories, where a limousine picked us up and drove us to Chek Lap Kok airport. I keep wanting to call it "Lap Top" airport, because there are so many lap top computers around, even at the check-in desks. We then flew to Los Angeles. The advantages of business class are to be able to stretch out and get a decent rest AND getting served dim sum for breakfast! (Have I written enough about food on this trip?) It took nearly 2 hours to claim baggage and get through immigration, customs, and domestic security at LAX. Needless to say, the extensively wrapped 2000 year old man raised a few eyebrows at customs, but I had all of the proper documentation, and I did not need to pay any import taxes for an antiquity. We had just enough time to get on the plane to Boston, where John and Josh were kind enough to pick us up. It is good to be home!

No comments: