Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My 2000 Year Old Man



Today was quite an adventure! I took the hotel shuttle to Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon, and from there I took the subway over to Hong Kong island. The subway was absolutely spotless, very efficient, and reminiscent of London, with a disembodied female voice stating "Mind The Gap." My destination was Hollywood Road, site of the antique stores. I had the name of a highly reputable store that had been given to me by my hospital's CEO. In the photo you can see what I purchased. He is a painted pottery figure known as a "stick man." He was made in 157 BC to 141 BC during the Western Han Dynasty. He comes from the tomb of Emperor Jing Di and originally would have had wooden arms and been wearing a textile costume. He has been authenticated with the pottery equivalent of carbon dating. I liked him because he has a real personality and also looks very modern (almost like a Modigliani). I am still surprised that one can actually buy something that is 2000 years old at a price that was less than my monthly mortgage payment. Now my challenge will be to get him safely through 3 airports tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your 50 something year old man back in Boston has nothing to fear from this new man in your life!
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Fascinating trip, Diana....and your comments about LaJolla brought back memories of our time out there. You are brave eating all those strange foods....I think I would have drawn the line at jellyfish!
Del

Anonymous said...

Just missed you at LAX by one day on the return in the chaotic Tom Bradley International Terminal. Sounds like another great trip and adventure. How do I get a job like this without going to Medical School? XXOO

Anonymous said...

the man is a great acquisition! certainly a different collecting direction for you. can't wait to see it installed.