Saturday, August 16, 2008

Farewell to The Lion City



It was another action-packed day in Singapore, which started at 7:30 AM, when I gave a lecture at National University Hospital. I was then whisked off to the "Biopolis," a biotechnology city of sorts, which has buildings with names like "Chromos" and "Helios" and "Genome." My destination was the Genome Institute, where I met with several scientists and gave another lecture. There I took a picture of this lion statue, decorated with the bases of the genetic code. "Singa Pura" means Lion City. In the afternoon I took a nice swim in a 100 meter outdoor pool at the Singapore Swim Club. In the evening my host Mahesh and his wife Vinita held a lovely farewell party for me. It was an Indonesian buffet. I then went to the airport where I again marveled at the inside foliage as well as some new vocabulary. I guess the "moving walkway" is called "the travellator" in Singapore. Travellator has a very futuristic feel to it, and I feel futuristic with this time-traveling, jet-setting week!

No comments: