


The day began with an introduction to all of the research going on in the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine at the National University Hospital. I listened to 12 different enthusiastic research presentations and needed to come up with insightful questions for each of them while battling 12 hour jet lag. Then, I was taken on a hike up Mount Faber and through a tropical forest. My extremely knowledgable guide (who is also the University's Dean of Education) pointed out all of the unusual features of the native trees. The light was golden as it was near sunset. Interestingly, because we are almost exactly on the equator the sun rises and sets at the same time all year round. By the way, that hike was 4 miles (6 km!) Following dinner, I was then taken to the "Night Safari," which is basically a zoo for nocturnal animals. The most interesting animal was the Malaysian tapir, which looks like someone painted half of its body black and the other half grey, in big blocks. I didn't get back to the hotel until midnight! I had no problem falling asleep, but, as anyone who saw "Lost in Translation" knows, I was awake agin at 3 AM. However, I can assure you that I did not go down to the hotel bar to meet Bill Murray!
No comments:
Post a Comment