
Although I have been to New Orleans about five or six times
previously, this is my first trip since the inception of the Come Fly With D
blog. My last trip was in October 2006 for the genetics meetings , almost
exactly one year after the city’s devastation by Hurricane Katrina. At that
time the convention center area was pretty desolate and even the French Quarter
was quiet. Six years on, I am happy to report that New Orleans—or the “Big
Easy” as it is known---is experiencing a slow but steady rebirth. Convention
Center Boulevard is full of new hotels, and on a warm and sunny autumn weekend
the city was full of tourists and conventioneers. Not surprisingly, the party
atmosphere is back. Witness this photo I took in a CVS drugstore (!) in which
the isles are filled with liquor. I stayed at the new Hyatt Place Hotel,
directly across from the Ernest Morial Convention Center. I ate very well
during my trip. Here I show the most delicious grilled shrimp po’boy sandwich I
had for lunch and a unique fried chicken, brussel sprouts, and squash salad I
had as a dinner appetizer.
No comments:
Post a Comment