December 4, 2014
On one of our last expeditions we went to Anakena, the only
true sandy beach on Easter Island.
It was the place where the Europeans first landed.
Because the toppled moais were partially buried in the sand at Anakena Beach, the details of their carving have remained more intact than in other places on the island where they have been exposed to wind and rain.
I liked this sign, which says in Spanish “Mire No Toque” (look, don’t touch).
I can't stop taking pictures of the moais! They are so exotic and mysterious and beautiful! By the way, the first moai in the photo below has a good example of the "long ear" style of carving. Some of the moats had long ears and other had short ears.
It was the place where the Europeans first landed.
Because the toppled moais were partially buried in the sand at Anakena Beach, the details of their carving have remained more intact than in other places on the island where they have been exposed to wind and rain.
I liked this sign, which says in Spanish “Mire No Toque” (look, don’t touch).
I can't stop taking pictures of the moais! They are so exotic and mysterious and beautiful! By the way, the first moai in the photo below has a good example of the "long ear" style of carving. Some of the moats had long ears and other had short ears.





No comments:
Post a Comment