Sunday, January 5, 2014

Manueline Style


June 2, 2013

Lisbon has several well-preserved unique architectural heritage sites that demonstrate the Manueline, or Portuguese late gothic, style of architecture. Named for King Manuel I, who reigned from 1495-1521, the time during which this style flourished. Manueline style showcases the discoveries of exotic lands brought back to Portugal by da Gama and his colleagues. The style also incorporates maritime elements such as ropes and anchors, symbols of the sea, such as shells and seaweed, botanical elements such as exotic plants, and religious symbols.
In the early 1500s there was a big building spree in Lisbon. Unfortunately, many of the buildings in the city's center were destroyed in the 1755 earthquake. Buildings in Belem, however, such as the Saint Jeronimo Church, its attached monastery (a World Heritage site), and the Disney-like Belem Tower were spared.
The church (above) was impressive, but the monastery (below) was breathtaking.
It has been exquisitely restored, which is pretty amazing considering that Portugal is bankrupt. I wished that I had time for a guided tour, because I am sure I missed a lot. There were so many details to absorb, including the significance of the numerous gargoyles and their allusions to sailing, nature, and the royal family. 
The Belem Tower was built to commemorate the epic voyages of discovery that departed from that site. I did not have time to go inside of it, but it was quite beautiful from the outside.

No comments: