Thursday, December 31, 2015

Dhow for Rent

March 15, 2014

On this trip to Qatar I varied my itinerary in search of the perfect connecting flights. This week a new, non-stop Boston to Dubai flight on Emirates began and I was one of the first to try it. The fact that our overseas flight arrived quite late made for an almost instantaneous connection to Doha. Today I had a jet lag adjustment day in which I finally got to swim in the Arabian Sea (aka the Persian Gulf, but not to the Qataris). I joined several faculty members from Sidra and their families on a dhow cruise.


A dhow is a traditional wooden Arabic boat that is made entirely by hand. Thought to originate in China, dhows were trading vessels with long thin hulls that were used to carry heavy items like fresh water and fruit along the coast of the Arabian Peninsula. Here is a row of dhows lined up near the Museum of Islamic Art with their Qatari flags rippling in the wind.



The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M. Pei, is one of my favorite buildings in Doha. Here is a beautiful view of it taken from the rented dhow.



The cushions on the dhow are covered with traditional textiles. I love this view of the Doha skyline with the cushions in the foreground.



No comments: