Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Third Visit to Doha

March 14, 2015
I arrived in Doha for my third visit to do some consulting in Medical Genetics. When my colleagues asked me what I would like to do during non-work time I told them that I wanted to go to the souk (the marketplace). Although the souk looks old, it is actually a new market recreated on a historic spot. People actually shop there! Check out these Qatari women with designer handbags who have just purchased vegetables or spices.


There are traditional Qatari soldiers who maintain law and order.






And you can buy a camel if you so desire! Who knew that camels could bend at their knees and be so flexible?














Birds are very popular in the Middle East. You can buy parrots or parakeets or any number of exotic small birds for your home.







Falconry is a huge sport and falcons or other birds of prey are big business. I watched a teenage boy buying his first falcon.









There are many shops that sell accessories for falcons.



Lastly, there is even a hospital exclusively devoted to the care of falcons. When I said "big business," I meant it!

No comments: