Saturday, September 15, 2012

Arne Jacobsen's "Ants"


September 10, 2012

The SAS Royal Hotel

 In the Design Museum I read about Arne Jacobsen (1902-1971), who was one of Denmark’s most influential twentieth century architects and designers. Like Frank Lloyd Wright, he designed both buildings and all of the interiors, including fixtures and furniture. Interestingly, across the street from Tivoli is the SAS Royal Hotel, designed by Jacobsen in 1960.

The Egg Chairs
It was/is the epitome of mid-century Modern design. I went inside the lobby and was pleased to see that it has remained largely intact. The “Egg” chairs in the lobby were designed specifically for this space, but they are also now museum pieces. Jacobsen’s other iconic chairs include the “ant,” the “drop,” and the “swan.” All were on display at the Design Museum. 

The ant chair

The ant chair (1955) was the first successfully mass produced chair in Denmark. It was also the first chair manufactured with the seat and back as one piece. They sold very well beacuse they were/are stackable. Once I learned about the ant chair I saw it everywhere, including on the store window and inside furniture stores, where they are sold even today.

Ant chairs for sale in a dept store

The ants march along a store window

No comments: