Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Outtakes and Other Random Thoughts from Hong Kong

China is like a rooster
September 20, 2012

I am in transit at the Seoul airport, reviewing my photos, and wanted to include a few random things I learned or saw in my trip to Hong Kong this week.

First of all, I had no idea that people refer to China as being like a chicken. When they describe where they live they say "in the head of the chicken" or "near the chicken's chest."
Recycling comes to Hong Kong

Free WiFi in the subway
Second, I noticed that recycling has finally come to Hong Kong. That is a good thing!




Lastly, I am not going to write about the subways in Hong Kong, because I already have on prior trips, but let me say again that they are spotless, efficient, and a very cost and time-effective way of getting around. What is new this year, however, are the free WiFi stands in major subway stations, shown here. In fact, everyone is constantly "connected" in Hong Kong. I wish I could have taken a picture of groups of people on the subway, all with their heads down, all checking email or Facebook or texting rapidly. No one looks up anymore!

No comments: