Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Over-Hyped Little Mermaid


September 8, 2012

Classic view

She is billed as the “number one tourist sight in Copenhagen.” She is also prominently featured on the conference logo (see later post). The history of the Little Mermaid statue is that in 1909 the brewer Carl Jacobsen (Carlsberg beer) went to see a ballet of the “Little Mermaid” (originally a fairy tale by the Danish author Hans Christian Andersen). He was so taken with the prima ballerina that he commissioned a sculpture of her as the Little Mermaid to be given as a present to the city of Copenhagen. She was “unveiled” in 1913 at her current location.
Her height relative to tourists

Maybe it was because I was tired from all of the walking, or hypoglycemic from being too busy to eat, but I was severely disappointed when I saw her! She is smaller than I imagined and set in a location that is far from the center of town and not particularly attractive! 

No comments: