December 21, 2012
| Typical Embera home |
After lunch we were invited to look into the Embera homes,
which have thatched roofs but no walls (the temperature is a constant 31-34
degrees Celsius throughout the year).
The houses are all eight feet off the ground to discourage predators (scorpions)
and flooding from the torrential rains. The “staircase” is the notched log you
can see in the photo.
| Elliott gets his tattoo |
| I get my first tattoo! |
We were also given the opportunity to get a temporary
tattoo using a juice from the juega plant. While the designs are used as a form
of decoration they also have a very practical purpose. The dye that gets into
the skin serves as a natural mosquito repellent. Elliott and I got tattooed by
a 15 year old young man named Alessi.
Supposedly
it only lasts for 8 days, so our “designs” should be gone by New Year’s!
Before
leaving I purchased the beautiful vase shown in the photo, which was made by
the woman holding it. She is the wife of Mencha.
No comments:
Post a Comment