June 24, 2014
![]() |
| All in the name of science |
Over the past few years, whole genome sequencing (literally,
reading every “letter” of a person’s genetic code) has become quick and
inexpensive enough to be able to be made available to the general public.
“Inexpensive” is a relative term, as currently it does cost around $9000. While
serving on panels at genetics meetings I have been asked if I have had my
genome sequenced. To date I have not, but when offered an opportunity as part
of the Qatari National Genome Project I agreed to give my blood. I won’t find
out any results until October.
I also attended my first Ramadan party. Since the month of Ramadan is associated with fasting and prayer during the day, before it begins there are many opportunities to pack on the pounds! Here, Sidra's Department of Surgery is having a multi-cultural celebration. The appropriate greeting is "Kareem Ramadan."



No comments:
Post a Comment